Handknit: Benton Sweater

Grainline Studio | Handknit: Benton Sweater

It’s been a while since I’ve done a finished project post but I’m getting back on the horse and today we have my finished Benton Sweater! I started this sweater in mid April when I needed a road trip knitting project. Stonecutter seemed a little intense for taking on the road so a quick Ravelry searching revealed this gem, designed by Julie Hoover for Brooklyn Tweed Winter ’14, which I thought would be a relatively mindless knit.

Grainline Studio | Handknit: Benton Sweater

The sweater calls for Brooklyn Tweed Loft yarn but since I was on short notice and had already spent a small fortune on the Shelter for my Stonecutter I pulled some Knit Picks Stroll Tweed from my stash and went with that. The yarn is a pretty alright sub, the green had these little teal fluffs in it which I didn’t think looked that great so every time one came out of the ball I plucked it off. I am glad I used a superwash yarn though because after one complete day of owning the finished sweater I can tell it’s going to get a lot of wear.

Grainline Studio | Handknit: Benton Sweater

I made the second smallest size which maybe corresponds to a small, I don’t really know, and you can see it’s a pretty roomy sweater. This photo totally cracks me up because between the shape and stripes it reminds me a little bit of a trilobite. It’s going to be great for layering though, the sleeves are slim but not too slim that you can’t put a shirt on underneath.

Grainline Studio | Handknit: Benton Sweater

I really enjoyed knitting this pattern, it was the perfect mix of stockinette stitch for taking on the go combined with a lot of great techniques that I either needed to brush up on or learn. The hems are done with the tubular cast on which I hadn’t done in probably at least 3 years, besides the Stonecutter, and I really enjoyed the Brooklyn Tweed directions. At first they seemed a little confusing but reading through a few times cleared things up. The shoulders are shaped with clever short rows which are executed differently than the short rows I’ve done on socks so it was fun to learn another method on that. The one time I wanted to freak out was doing the tubular cast off, phew that took a few reads through the instructions! Once I realized it was basically just the kitchener stitch, which I had just mastered while sewing the shoulders together, I was okay though and I’m definitely glad I figured it out and didn’t cheat out with a regular cast off. It really does look super nice.

Grainline Studio | Handknit: Benton Sweater

I totally love this sweater, I’m so glad I came across the Summer Sweater Knit Along hosted by Shannon. It really gave me the kick I needed to get back on the knitting bandwagon. That combined with semi-free nights combined perfectly to make this sweater happen. On to the next one!

Project Details: (view on Ravelry)
Pattern: Benton by Julie Hoover for Brooklyn Tweed
Size: 2nd smallest
Yarn: Knit Picks Stroll Tweed in Lost Lake Heather and Down Heather

This entry was posted in Knitted Garments and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Handknit: Benton Sweater

1. Wonderful! I can also tell you’ll get a lot of wear out of that sweater.

2. I love your sweater, looks so cozy!! 🙂

DIY on my blog

3. Heather Lou says:

I WANT THIS ON MY BODY IMMEDIATELY.

4. Judi says:

You knit ever so perfectly!!!! Your sweater is beautifully made and looks beautiful on you!

5. sallie says:

Wow!! This is just awesome! I love how oversized it is – perfect cozy sweater!! Great color choice too! Gah! Now I want to make this sweater instead of my original plans! What to do, what to do????

• Jen says:

I totally hate to tell you this…but the answer is to knit ALL THE SWEATERS!!!!! Omg okay so we totally need a sweater action plan. Actually I need an action plan for all of my projects. Why are there so many amazing things and why is it imperative to make them all?! Hahahaha! I just found you on Ravelry, get on there and make a queue! It’s the only way to keep on top of making 1923878940287454 sweaters like we’re going to do 😉

6. Amy says:

Jen, do you have a trick for washing your superwash sweater? I ruined a superwash sweater by washing it! It got huge and shapeless 🙁

It’s here if you’re interested: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/abx/caramel (the before, anyway. I couldn’t bring myself to photograph the after)

• Jen says:

For socks I just throw them into the washing machine with the rest of my clothes, sweaters though, they always make me nervous so I’ve been known to zip them into a delicates bag because the thought of the arm of a handknit sweater getting wrapped around the center part of the washing machine gives me anxiety.

I am so bummed out for you about your sweater, it was a beauty! Is there any way you might be able to block it back into shape or maybe shrink it up a bit in the dryer? There must be something that can be done? I’m no knitting expert though 🙁

7. pastryelf says:

Will go great with your Moss skirts too…. Congrats, looks fab!

8. gingermakes says:

This is so cool! I love your color combo!!! Want want want!

• Jen says:

Thanks! Sooo many things to be sewing & knitting am I right? How area we going to get to them all? These are the things that keep me up at night…for real though 😉

9. This is gorgeous! I’m always so nervous/skeptical when a pattern calls for 10+ inches of positive ease, but seeing this on you is making me want to just go for it. I wouldn’t be surprised if you basically just live in this all fall/winter.

• Jen says:

Oh man, I’m just the opposite. I see 10+ inches of positive ease and I’m yelling “SOLD” and doing a little dance! The pattern is pretty great so I totally recommend it if you’re looking for a really comfy layering type sweater.

10. Elizabeth says:

This is the best! It’s going to take all of my self control to continue what I’m knitting instead of starting this sweater now. Hahaha.

• Jen says:

Oh man, self control is the WORST! I’m having a hard time with it now that all the new fall patterns are out and I’m still knitting one from last fall. Wah wahhh hahaha!

11. Ally says:

Jen! That sweater looks awesome! Like a knitted hemlock! Where are your shoes from??

• Jen says:

Thanks and totally! Rectangles with sleeves are totally my BFF’s! The shoes are the Penny from Dieppa Restrepo – totally my fav shoe brand <3

12. Michelle says:

It’s fantastic! I’m a huge fan of the tubular cast-on and cast-off. They just look so… rtw, professional, or idk… something. And, the added stretch, especially in a fitted waistband, is a huge bonus over a standard knitted cast-on. I think Brooklyn Tweed patterns always give a little something extra to their method of technique and design, which I really love and appreciate.

• Jen says:

I totally agree, especially since if you’re spending all this time on something you might as well make it the best it can be (even though I wanted to tear my hair out the first time I read through the tubular bind off instructions)! This and the Stonecutter I’m still working on are my first Brooklyn Tweed patterns and they really impressed me with how thorough and well written they are.

13. Aimee O says:

So beautiful, I love how cozy it looks. I’m a crocheter but I’ve been feeling pulled to start learning how to knit, mainly for sweater making!

• Jen says:

I think if you crochet then knitting is probably easier to learn, that’s how it was for my mom at least! I always wish I could crochet but there is no way on this earth that I’ll ever get the tension figured out…dream zig zag blanket will remain a dream.

14. LOVE this sweater! I haven’t knit in ages and this post has totally made me want to dig out the needles and make something cozy for fall! 😉

• Jen says:

I highly recommend it! I always wish I could crochet b/c I have a dream that involves a zig zag blanket but it just is not for me. Can’t get tension no matter what I do!

15. Charnelle says:

It came out great!! looks extremely comfy!

16. amyalan says:

Oh man, this looks so perfectly cozy! Now all you need are some flannel slippers, a cabin to hole up in and a winter’s supply of hot tea!

17. Bella says:

I really like this, the dropped shoulder reminds me of your Hemlock pattern. Great colours on you.

18. devon says:

eeek that looks so good!! and soft and snuggly and cozy. maybe if i have a spare five or six years someday i could knit one for myself [because that’s how long it would take me.]

19. Ginny says:

LOVE this! Totally my style & really suits you.

20. nicki says:

I love it. It’s perfect on you! I need to get knitting again….

21. kristin says:

oooo that looks cozy! i love the flecks in the yarn, it makes it so interesting.

22. Shannon says:

I can just imagine all the outfits you’re going to style this with! I love it on you and I’m beyond thrilled to have you join in on our Summer Sweater Knit Along! So fun to have you!

• Jen says:

Thanks, I’m so glad I found the knit along, no doubt this sweater would still be sitting in a pile on my shelf if I hadn’t! Thanks so much for putting it all together. You may have spoiled me because now I want to knit all my sweaters as part of a group!

23. Mady says:

I love this! Wish my knitting skills were better!

24. misscrayolacreepy says:

It looks really great, Jen! I think the next sweater I knit is going to be striped also, but that won’t be happening until after I finish all the Christmas gifts I need to make :/

25. symondezyn says:

This looks so cosy! I love the V-neck, really suits the style and adds great visual shape 🙂

26. Sara Berkes says:

This is so nice! Love the colours you chose

27. Kelly says:

Hm, I do see a trilobite in there, which makes me love it even more! All I want to do lately is knit brooklyn tweed patterns in their own yarn, even though i’ve never actually knit a sweater and there’s no way I can afford their yarn…

28. janevstar says:

Love this am totally inspired and have bought the yarn

29. Pingback: The Bellows Cardigan | grainline