Alder Shirtdress Version 2: Light Denim

Grainline Studio | Alder Shirtdress V2: Light Denim

Here we go with round two of awkward photos of me talking to Jon while getting my photo taken in an Alder dress! This View B of Alder is made out of the same denim as the dark denim version of View A, this 6.5 oz Robert Kauffman denim in Bleached Indigo Wash. I’m pretty into this color of denim for dresses and shirts so I’m really glad I could find it out there!

Grainline Studio | Alder Shirtdress V2: Light Denim

It was crazy windy the day we took photos so a photo of the dress hanging perfectly straight was not going to happen, but on the plus side you can see how the dress moves in the photos so perhaps it’s not a bad thing?

Grainline Studio | Alder Shirtdress V2: Light Denim

Back gathers blowing in the wind!

Grainline Studio | Alder Shirtdress V2: Light Denim

And one last super dorky photo but I think the skirt looks great here. Ha!

As for the sew along, I’m in the middle of moving into a new studio space outside of my apartment so I’m hoping that I’m settled in enough to get started next Monday. I’ll let you know towards the end of the week how things are looking though. It’s funny how everything always happens at once. Release of a new pattern, new website, studio move, etc. PHEW! I also don’t have internet set up at the new place yet so that combined with the increase in emails I’ve been getting means that my reply time is a little longer than usual at the moment. Soon things will be settled and getting back to normal and I cannot wait!

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Alder Shirtdress Version 2: Light Denim

1. Annie says:

Love love this dress!

2. Kelly says:

You look great and I love this one with the skirt, I have 3 planned already- I can’t wait!

3. blancapate says:

I love this version in that color!! And the skirt movement in these photos is beautiful. 🙂

4. Grace says:

This is the version I want to make. I’m looking forward to your Sew-along!

5. Rochelle New says:

I can’t get enough of this pattern! I haven’t been in a dress wearing mood lately, but as soon as I am, the Alder is going straight to the top of my list!! It’s beautiful. I love the clever gathers at the sides and general shirt dress awesomeness.

6. Angie says:

Love this and the clogs! Where did you get those?

7. Bellbird says:

It’s freezing cold and the middle of winter here but nonetheless I’m halfway through a very bright Liberty Alder. I’m looking forward to wearing it with tights and boots! I really like this version you’ve made, it’s nice to see the gathered version in this fabric. I’ve got a beautiful grey and white striped linen waiting for me next one!

8. Ybat says:

I cannot wait for the sew along. I have my fabric washed and ready. I’m so glad that this pattern works with quilting cotton because I have this really cute navy with fuchsia clouds and rain on it.

9. pastryelf says:

Hmmmm, seeing interesting color blocking potential with this version…..

10. Mary says:

Love this dress – also, love the shoes! Can you please tell me what kind they are?

11. Chris says:

I like your “awkward photos” – because they are so real…

12. Angie says:

Very cute!! Going to have to make one!!

13. Marianne isaacs says:

Hello Jen , I really like this design . I would like to buy it but won’t as it doesn’t have sleeves . I can imagine it wil roll up sleeves and button tabs . I imagine quit a few of us allergic to our upper arms would !!! Marianne

• Jen says:

Sorry to hear you’re disappointed in the lack of sleeves. In order to get the dress to fit properly with and without sleeves I would have needed to do 4 complete body pieces and two yokes and there was just no way to make that happen, the pattern would have been enormous and much too expensive. The alternative was to make the pattern both with and without sleeves but sacrifice a really great armhole fit on both. I chose to just go sleeveless for this one, though in the sewalong I’ll be showing you how to add the Archer sleeves. Maybe I’m just being too picky with my patternmaking but I didn’t want to compromise the quality, which is also why the Archer doesn’t have a sleeveless version included in the pattern.

14. Rachel says:

Hi Jen, is the Alder dress drafted from the same block as the Archer shirt? I am basically trying to get away with not making a toile of the Alder and know my Archer fits me well now I’ve made it three times. I hope you don’t mind me asking and thanks!

• Jen says:

Hi, don’t mind you asking at all. They’re not based off of each other so you won’t be able to use one for the other. The Alder has a bust dart and much less ease across the bust than the Archer, as well as other changes that give it a better fit for being a sleeveless garment. If you check the finished measurement on the patterns, or shop site if you don’t have the pattern, you can get an idea for the differences between the two, alternately you can place your Archer pattern on top of the Alder and see where you might need to go from there. Hope that helps a little!

• Rachel says:

Thanks so much for your reply! It helps immensely – I’ll definitely do a quick toile of the Alder before cutting into my beautiful black chambray and Nani Iro double gauze. Thanks again – I really love the Alder!