Alder Shirtdress Version 1: Dark Denim

Grainline Studio | Alder Shirtdress V1: Dark Denim

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post I’ve made about a million (okay 7 in actual fabric) Alders so far. I wanted to post a little about some of them so you can get a feel for how the pattern acts with different fabrics if you’re looking at fabrics for one of your own. This pattern is unusually versatile in regards to fabric selection and when reading the recommended fabrics on the pattern you might be thinking, really Jen? Denim, chambray, quilting cotton, and silk crepe de chine? I promise you it’s all true and you know I try to never ever steer you wrong!

Grainline Studio | Alder Shirtdress V1: Dark Denim

Up first is this 6.5oz denim from Robert Kauffman. I know people are really in love with chambray (believe me I have one planned in this fabric) but I also love how the Alder looks with a bit of a heavier fabric with some body to it.

Grainline Studio | Alder Shirtdress V1: Dark Denim

I went back and forth between using topstitching thread and regular thread for this dress and ultimately decided on regular thread. I found the topstitching thread to be a little more bulky than needed and stood out a little too much for my taste on this fabric.

Grainline Studio | Alder Shirtdress V1: Dark Denim

This version is super easy to wear around like you would jeans and a tee shirt, but easier because it’s only one piece! I’ve been clogging it up with this version pretty hard, for some unknown reason I feel like these shoes were made for this dress and I have to wear them together at all times. Do you guys ever get like that with pairing things? Could be just a weird Jen tic…

Grainline Studio | Alder Shirtdress V1: Dark Denim

This photo is just for giggles, I think I might need to go to a posing class. I feel like I never know what to do with my arms and basically I talk to Jon the ENTIRE time he’s taking my photo. Poor guy. I’ll be back tomorrow with another version…stay tuned, and if you need to grab yourself a copy of the Alder Shirtdress, you can do that here!

This entry was posted in Sewn Garments and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Alder Shirtdress Version 1: Dark Denim

1. Ingrid says:

Love this dress! Your patterns, blog and tutorials has seen me through my still very early days of sewing – thanks for continuing to produce such ace patterns 🙂 And congrats on the new studio

2. Kara says:

I plan on making version b with that dot chambray as well! I can’t wait to make this pattern, and I appreciate all the work you put into your patterns.

3. I love denim and I love this!

4. sewmaris says:

What a great dress pattern Jen!

5. Kelly says:

This dress is so flattering! It looks great with the clogs too, no wonder you must always wear them together!

6. Ninon says:

I love your photos, you have the most winning smile! I think there ought to be an online course for how to take blog photos for those of us new to this virtual world of sharing sewing experiences:-)
    anyway, looking forward to (beyond excited) trying one of your patterns, this looks like it would go well with leggings for those of us who live where it never gets that warm…

7. gingermakes says:

Ahhh, this is so fabulous! I’m glad to see it on you! I always have several photos where I have weird t-rex arms or something… don’t know what’s up with that…

8. joelle says:

i also get really into pairing certain garments with specific shoes or acessories, and really sticking to it! i love love love the alder, and this denim one is looking amazing, but i am always a bit cautious with garments that doesn’t have a defined waist, as they can be trick for my silhouette. i am looking forward seeing it in a drapier fabric and with the gathers, as i suspect it would work better for me!

9. ebonyh says:

Absolutely am with you on getting stuck in certain pairing ruts… or really, it’s not a rut when it’s working, as those clogs definitely are! I have a pair of clogs that I’ve worn about 50% of the time since I bought them, so there that is.

Heard you on the Modern Sewciety podcast (first time I ever listened). Was fun to learn something new about you & your biz. Congrats on the gorgeous new launch of the store! This new dress is lovely, looks like the sort I would get a lot of wear out of, and I’m excited to get it in a printed edition!

10. lisa g says:

nice to hear i’m not alone in the t-rex arms department! but most of my blog pics consist of me swatting bugs… hazzards of outdoor photos! and the denim looks so great. and i bet it will only get better with wear!

11. Karina says:

It looks amazing! I really love this dress design, only thing is when I went to check it out in the pattern store, I have no access. I’m not sure why 🙁

12. I really like this version.

13. Keri says:

What about a sleeve variation/modification? I prefer to keep my upper arms concealed from the general public….. Your gathered version is tempting me….lots!

14. Ally says:

I love the heavier weight, I’m thinking a light/medium weight wool for fall/winter!

15. Christy says:

I love this. I have already snapped up this pattern and have a piece of Liberty earmarked for it and possibly some dark/denim like chambray. Keep em comin!!

16. Tara says:

I’ve got no good advice on taking blog photos. The few occasions I’ve needed to take them have involved using my kids as distractions, and wearing a mask to hide my face. Lol. But this pattern is exciting! I’m just waiting for it to arrive at my local shop. Anything to avoid printing and taping.

17. Chris says:

Love your patterns!
    And really appreciate that they are so well drafted…

18. fabrictragic says:

Love the denim. Sometimes I think I need to take up smoking so I’ve got something to do with my arms in photos….

19. Bellbird says:

I’ve got every single one of the suggested fabrics in my stash. Do I have a fabric buying problem? Maybe…..! My only real dilemma is choosing which fabric to make the Alder up in first.

Congratulations on your new store and a beautiful pattern!

20. raye215 says:

I’ve bought the pattern! I’m gearing up for the sewalong! A request: as you go through the fabrics can you also say what interfacing goes with (especially for those shopping online?) I went back and looked at earlier posts on the topic…most of my fabrics are in-between the two weights you mention. Thanks!! Excited!!!

And your arms are perfect in all their unsurety 🙂 Many people put their hands on hips for every photo which makes it hard to see the fit/drape. Besides, people who are a tad awkward in photos are my favorite people (shh!)

21. The dark denim and the simple and flattering lines of the Alder work really well together. Have you tried it with a belt? I Would love to see how it changes the silhouette of the dress.

22. liza jane says:

Ooh, and I bet the denim will just get better and better with wear. Love this pattern!

23. Nina says:

Exciting! I really like the new pattern but I don’t really do sleeveless shirts… How difficult would it be for me to add sleeves? I have Archer – would it be simple enough to put those sleeves on this dress?

24. sallie says:

I’m so excited for my Alder to arrive! This is such a great everyday dress – perfect for summer. And I think I might have the reverse problem with my clogs – I think they go with everything in my closet! Nick has had to tell me more than once that my outfit would look better if I changed my shoes! Speaking of – I love these clogs!! Where did they come from??

Also, I have SO many photos where the self timer has gone off before I’ve figured out what to do with my arms and they’re just flailing about uselessly! I kind of want to start another blog just for outfit photo fails.

25. Misty says:

Have you, or have you seen anyone, grade this dress up to plus size? Would love to see pics. It’s hard for me to make plus sized dresses not look like mumu’s or house-dresses.

26. Pingback: Alder Shirtdress Version 2: Light Denim | grainline