Modern Task Lighting for Sewing & Crafts

Recently I’ve been on the lookout for cute, modern craft task lighting which has proved to be more difficult than I thought! I often find myself knitting with dark colors, usually in the evenings after work, and in need of a bit of extra light to keep me from regretting my color choices. I own an OttLite that I use in the basement, but as we’re gradually furnishing the rest of our house (we’ve only owned it for 9 months and used to share a 500sq ft apt so we didn’t have much when we moved in) I’ve realized that I’d like something a bit more stylish in our main living spaces. I originally started searching “craft task light” and was very disappointed with the selection, but once I realized a craft light is basically the same as any other LED task light my search opened up a lot! I thought I’d share some of my favorite ones here in case anyone else is in the same predicament.

1. Vero Floor Lamp from OttLite
  2. Vero Table Lamp from OttLite
  3. Linear Wood LED Task Light from West Elm
  4. LED Disc Task Lamp from West Elm
  5. Vera Table Lamp from Wayfair
  6. Lunenburg Task Floor Lamp from Wayfair

I’m leaning towards #5 above for our front room since I love the marble / brass combo. Should look good with all of the natural fabrics and plants going in there with it. Have you seen any great task lighting lately or do you have any lighting secrets for your sewing? Also any hot tips on sourcing cute modern sconces that aren’t super industrial because we have three that I hate but can’t seem to come up with a replacement. I’m about to have our electrician take them out all together!

This entry was posted in Journal Entry. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Modern Task Lighting for Sewing & Crafts

1. Sarah says:

I just put a task light in my living room for nighttime knitting. This way my husband can watch tv without all the lights being on! It’s a task lamp that I won at neocon 10 years ago when I was in design school.
    Are cedar and moss sconces too industrial for you? I just installed 4 of them in my family room and kitchen and LOVE them. Woman owned business and made in Seattle (I think).

2. ggherself says:

I bought a desk-style LED task light at Ikea last year and it has made hand-sewing (of which I do a lot on those couture projects) so much easier. When I did the lining of my first Little Black Jacket, I was doing those tiny stitches black on black – I nearly went mad! The second one was so much easier with the new light!

3. Amber says:

I have several Tolomeo task lamps by Artemide that I love. I scored mine used as the prices reflect the caliber of the designers attached to their collections. Artemide has a wide variety of modern sconces too. http://artemide.net/product-category/design/wall/

4. PsychicSewerKathleen says:

You’re so right Jen that lighting when you love to sew, knit or any craft is SO important (especially as you age – I’m 62 🙂 )We were in our local sewing machine shop last spring and they had a huge pile of wonderful lights sitting on their front counter in a pile for a special sale. I literally bought 5 of them! They are made by “Daylight Co.” Model #U33050 (I honestly do not have anything to do with this company and I’m not pumping them for any personal gain at all). They are wonderful. They flip down to go off and stand in quiet inconspicuousness but when flipped up they come on to light just the right amount of space for work. They even have a handle on top that you can grab to move to exactly where you need it. I grab one to sit at the corner of my ironing board, I have a couple near my sewing machines etc.

5. Karin says:

We have this is our living room for reading / knitting, etc. It has a small profile and bright light. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50180956/

6. Kelly says:

Thanks so much for this. I have been knitting stonecutter in black with inadequate lighting and finally threw it in my wip bin and swore to move to light gray for a little bit!

7. Janet says:

Yes please. I absolutely need something like this for my living room – something that doesn’t resemble one of those hideous ‘mother and daughter’ lamps that my grandmother (ultra-practical lady that she was) used to swear by.

8. Cindy says:

Check out the Stella Sky. I saw it first at Vogue Knitting Live. It’s a floor LED lamp with 3 settings and a remote control. It was made for embroidery and crafting. I love mine. Go to stellalighting.com and read their story. Great company that stands behind their product.

9. Lisa Schofield says:

I love your selection, why not look for art deco style light fittings to replace your industrial ones as they have lovely clean lines without being harsh. I want a good floor lamp eventually for crafting in the evenings.

10. Gail says:

I have a floor model Ottlight I got 20 years ago that I use in my studio but I wanted something a bit more chic for my living room. I picked up a pretty sweet LED desk lamp at Costco. Ultrabrite Swan Lamp. $40. I love it and plan to get another one for my sewing area.

SPECIFICATIONS

• Light Bulbs: 64 Energy-Efficient LEDs
    • Brightness Levels: 7 Levels of Brightness
    • Light Temperature Modes:
    • 3 Modes (Warm/Bright/Natural Light
    • LED Life: 35,000 hours
    • USB Port Type: Charging ports – 2.1A and 1.0A (5V)
    • Light Output (Lumens): 771
    • Color Rendering Index (CRI): 84
    • Correlated Color Temperature (CCT): 3655
    • Watts: 10.1
    • Input Voltage: 100-240V 50/60Hz
    • Power: DC 12V 3A
    • Product Height: 15” (38.1cm) to 27.25” (69.2cm)
    • Base Size: 6.65”L X 6.26”W (16.9 x 15.9cm)

11. Liz says:

I have an Ott lightbulb that can go in any light! Very useful.