Recent Knitted Garments & Queued Projects

I realized the other day that it’s been forever since I posted my knitting projects! Last year was such a blur for us here at Grainline that I dropped the ball hard on posting any personal projects or things I’d made and I’m really hope to remedy that this year. I love reading about what other people have made, it’s just so inspiring and gets me motivated to get to work on my project list. When I started this blog back in 2009 as my personal project journal I blogged every random thing I made and I sort of miss doing that! Well I miss blogging the things I like at least. Instagram kind of killed project blogging a bit, but I often have more to say than is normal to post on Instagram. That and linking to anything on Instagram is a real pain. Anyway, in that spirit here are my recent knitting projects as well as a few things I’d like to make in 2017!

Moss Socks
Ravelry Post
Pattern: BFF by Cookie A
Yarn: Madelinetosh Twist Light

I really went on a sock bender this year completing 6 pairs in 12 months. I wish I was one of those people who could make a pair a month but honestly that would just stress me out. This pair is made with Madelinetosh Twist Light in an amazing green but sadly I lost the tag so I have no idea what it’s called. I used the BFF pattern (still not sick of it!) and omitted the cabling which makes a really great everyday sock. 10 out of 10 stars for how much use these are getting in my handmade wardrobe!

Antique Lace Socks
Ravelry Post
Pattern: BFF by Cookie A
Yarn: Madelinetosh Twist Light in Antique Lace

Aaaaaand here we have another pair of BFF socks also knit in Madelinetosh Twist Light. The color here is Antique Lace and guys, it’s gorgeous. The photos don’t really do it justice, though they come pretty close, but it goes with everything in my wardrobe. These get a ton of wear also and are so good with clogs because of the cables. Clogs & socks are severely underrated as a style in my opinion.

Coronal Hat
Ravelry Post
Pattern: Coronal by Erica Knits
Yarn: Quince & Co. Chickadee

I took a small break from my sock knitting program this summer to work on this hat for my mom. I bought yarn for a colorwork sweater in June but realized while swatching that I really needed more practice with the technique before starting on it. The Coronal Hat from EricaKnits is perfect for the task. None of the floats are very long and the pattern is super easy to remember making it a perfect learning project for colorwork. I was able to focus on the technique and really work on holding my yarns properly. Highly recommend this one if you’re looking to get into fair isle. Bonus points in that you get a super cute hat when you’re done learning!

Rainbow Socks
Ravelry Post
Pattern: none used
Yarn: Toil & Trouble in Opal Fire

This particular pair of socks has a few sisters around the internet. After Camp Workroom Social ’15 Carrie sent a few of us this confetti sock yarn to keep us close after camp was over. With the yarn being so busy I decided to stick with a simple sock instead of my trusty BFF. For this I just cast on 64 stitches, did about an inch of 2×2 ribbing, then went to town and it worked out great!

Malabrigo Socks
Ravelry Post
Pattern: none used
Yarn: Malabrigo Sock

This was my last pair of socks in 2016 – a cute striped Malabrigo I picked up at Knit 1 when I was just stopping in for needles. You know how that goes. Anyway I followed the same recipe that I did for the socks above and wear them all the time. The colorway was pretty hard to photograph, but the top photo was closest to accurate.

Currently I have two sweaters in progress, the Martine by Julie Hoover and my Fringe and Friends KAL sweater which I’m knitting for Jon. The Martine just needs sleeves and Jon’s sweater is finally blocking and almost ready for the finishing!

I’m already dreaming up my next projects which will likely include Ondawa finally, and some sort of cardigan. What’s in your knitting queue? Have any of you knit Ondawa already, and if so what yarn did you use? Also, I’ll be knitting many more socks this year, so if you have a favorite sock yarn, fill me in!

This entry was posted in Jen's Handmade Wardrobe. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Recent Knitted Garments & Queued Projects

1. Linda Doyle says:

You have great taste in patterns and ingredients!

2. Brigid de Jong says:

On the needles: a pair of mittens that my grandson asked for; Storm Mountain sweater that is stalled because I think the sleeves are too narrow and I’ll have to rip them out, and St. Brigid by Alice Starmore that I started 2 years ago and have found, picking it up again now after a long absence, that I am much better at this than I used to be and it’s moving right along. Maybe it’ll be done to wear next year! Next knitting hurdle: learn to do brioche well.
    Today I am also finishing my Farrow dress, which is going to be amazing!

• Jen says:

Ooh the neckline on St. Brigid is amazing with that braid! You’re going to wear it nonstop once it’s done. I hadn’t seen Storm Mountain before but that’s another beautiful looking one. Excellent sweater taste over there <3 I hope you love your Farrow as much as I love mine!

3. misscrayolacreepy says:

Really cute socks! I need to give the BFF pattern a try.

Have you knit the Honey Badger socks? Super easy pattern and super cute!

• Jen says:

Ooh those are super cute, how have I never seen them before? I have a skein of yarn that would be perfect for those. Thanks for the heads up on the pattern! You’re kind of a sock guru so of course you know all the good patterns 😉

4. Jess says:

I knit ondawa and love it so much! I used a local wool from Northern California, it was bulkier than shelter and a 2-ply marl in cream and tan. The cables actually look really nice in a marl I think. It’s an alpaca & wool blend which makes it extra cozy — it’s my favorite winter layer, like a security blanket but the cropped style and modern cabling makes it more chic (at least in my eye). Currently working on an Exeter cardigan and can’t wait to wear it, but I should could use more socks and am inspired by all your beautiful pairs!

• Jen says:

How have I never seen your Ondawa before?! Seriously because I kind of stalk your style – so good! Exeter is on my list too…I can’t wait to see your version. Heading over to Rav after this to locate it asap. Is that Beth who’s knit it 2x – once with a totally different cable pattern? Haven’t had enough tea this morning yet to remember things like that. It’s like the ultimate cardigan though, so sunggly!!

• Jess says:

Yep, that’s Beth! Trying on her Exeter is what convinced me to knit it. Basically combining her mods with Elizabeth McMurtry’s (“Mt. Hood Exeter” on rav).

5. Bella says:

Love all your socks! I haven’t done socks yet but would like to. I am considering knitting Ondawa in Rowan Denim (I have a sweater quantity from an abandoned sweater, common theme round here). It’ll have to wait until my knitted neckwear bonanza is over though. Also I really want to knit Celyn from Michele Wang’s new book! I think I’ll do that with the huge quantity of Balance that I bought to knit Bellows with. I can never make up my mind, sigh!

• Jen says:

I have to say I used to be one of those people who was like “why waste your time knitting socks?!” but now I’m obsessed with having handknit wool socks. So luxurious! Hahaha dude I’m so obsessed with your neckwear bonanza! I’m curious about the Rowan Denim as the Ondawa…it seems like it would be amazing. I remember you said it shrinks I think? I’m so into Michele’s Capsule collection. Annoyingly I’m obsessed with Aspen…like I’ll ever have time to knit a knee length cardigan though. Also replying to your email today 😉

• Bella says:

It does shrink but only in length, so hopefully it wouldn’t be too hard to add a little bit extra to the sleeves and body. The big bummer with that yarn though is that it turns your hands blue! Like, really blue. A couple people on Ravelry have done Ondawa in it, hence the inspiration. Also would totally be down for a casual Ondawa knit along, I might need a nudge to get going, blue hands and all 🙂

6. Kelly says:

I love Ondawa and I keep thinking I’ll knit it next, but I’m nearing the end of Stonecutter and kind of need a break from cables. Never thought I’d say that, but some mindless knitting would be rather nice for a little bit! Love all your knits 🙂

• Jen says:

Hahaha omg this is almost exactly what happened to me. I knit Stonecutter, followed by Bellows, then Ondawa was next up and I just couldn’t do it! Maybe all of us who are thinking Ondawa should start it this spring/summer so it’s ready for fall? I know quite a few people who are itching to knit it!

7. Annie says:

Ondawa was my first adult sweater and first cabling project – such a fun knit! I used Berroco Ultra Alpaca in Lichen Mix. I love the way it added some dimension to the cables and it relaxes nicely. I will say after wearing it all day, it tends to get a little itchy, but I’m pretty sensitive to certain wools.