Introducing the Farrow Dress

The Farrow Dress | Grainline Studio

After a few days of teasing over on Instagram I’m happy to reveal our newest pattern, the Farrow Dress! This dress really is one of my favorites and since we wrapped it up in the spring, I’ve gotten a ton of wear out of mine already. It really is one of my favorite patterns we’ve ever designed! So without further ado let me walk you through the Farrow.

The Farrow Dress | Grainline Studio

The A-line shape of the Farrow is one of my favorite parts about it, it’s so comfortable and easy to wear. I love that just by changing the fabrics from one with more body, like the Liberty Lantana print above, to one with less body and more drape, like the handkerchief linen below, you can change the silhouette of the dress. I’ve personally made Farrows out of linen, wool, cotton, wool/cotton blends, silk charmeuse, 4-ply silk, and silk charmeuse and each one really becomes it’s own version of the dress.

The Farrow Dress | Grainline Studio

There are two views included with the Farrow, View A which is sleeveless, and View B which has slim bracelet length sleeves. We worked quite hard to make sure the dress has ample movement in the arms, nothing is worse than making a pattern that looks great, but you can’t move your arms more than a few inches. Obviously a woven will never have quite the range of motion as a knit, but you’ll find you’ll be able to reach around with no trouble here.

The Farrow Dress | Grainline Studio

The Farrow features flattering diagonal style lines and center front and back seams to add visual interest to the dress as well as allow for pockets. You could also get creative and mix and match fabrics creating a color blocked version.

The Farrow Dress | Grainline Studio

You can see the construction a bit better in these flat images. The front diagonal features inseam pockets, but we wanted to make sure they were functional without destroying the silhouette of the dress. To make this a reality the pockets are anchored to the center front and side seams which keeps them, and the front of the dress, from collapsing under weight.

The Farrow Dress | Grainline Studio

The back of the dress is slightly longer than the front to frame the legs nicely. The Farrow closes at the back neck with a hook and eye or button, whichever you prefer. We’ve already got gold metallic linen version planned with sparkly buttons at the top back for our holiday parties!

The Farrow Dress | Grainline Studio

We will have a full sew-along for the Farrow starting in a few weeks, just as soon as we do a few posts on the Tamarack Jacket so watch this space for more info on that. In the meantime we’ll have inspiration and swatch posts for you later this week.

You can purchase your copy of the Farrow Dress pattern here or at one of our wonderful retailers near you! We hope you enjoy this new pattern!

This entry was posted in Farrow Dress and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Introducing the Farrow Dress

1. Cocos Loft says:

Lovely – I had thought about doing the willow kind of like this, using the pockets from the driftless cardigan, adding interest at the hem. Looking forward to seeing more versions…

2. PsychicKathleen says:

I love your patterns Jen – honestly I can’t rave about the Scout Tee and Morris enough 🙂 I know I’ll be off to get this one as well as soon as the Makehouse here in Victoria has her copy!

3. Francis says:

This looks like the perfect dress. I love that it has sleeves and sleeveless versions. I must make sure that my local store will carry the dress and the Tamarack jacket. Come to think of it, have you tried the jacket over the dress? Maybe too bulky.

4. Justyna says:

This is what I’ve been looking for FOREVER! And also a huge YES to arm movement :))

5. Jen says:

Tried to put the pattern in my shopping cart, and it won’t let me –just keeps telling me my cart is empty. Is something broken?

• Jen says:

Hi Jen, everything appears to be working on our end and we’re able to add it to our cart. If you can email orders@grainlinestudio.com Jon should be able to get you sorted but if you could let him know which version of the pattern (printed or PDF) and what kind of browser/computer you’re using that would really help.

6. Jen says:

Thanks — third time was the charm and I was able to purchase the pattern. Can’t wait to make this dress!

7. Jane says:

Love this so much – just perfect for the forthcoming Aussie summer!

8. Juniper Taylor says:

Oh, I love this silhouette! Definitely will be acquiring this one, too. I’ve been looking for something just like this all summer, to no avail.

Perhaps at some point you can address a couple of mods in a tutorial. First, I would like to mash the neckline with the Scout or Linden (possibly too challenging given it’s a raglan but the neckline is perfect). I don’t like a high neckline so I would need to scoop it. Second, I hate high-low hems, so how would I go about evening that out and getting the right curve all around?

Maybe I’m the only one interested in these old lady mods, LOL. But I guess it doesn’t hurt to ask. 🙂

9. Lynne says:

I love this – and thank you so much for sleeves! Seems like every new indie pattern release lately has been for sleeveless tops and dresses, which sadly means no purchases for me. As a very pale skinned person living in Texas, I get sunburn during the day, and eaten alive by mosquitoes at night, so skin coverage is essential, and I don’t want to have to wear a cardigan or jacket when it’s 98 degrees. This dress is perfect, and I’ll be making at least a dozen in linen!

10. Donna B. says:

Would this dress work in a cozy cotton flannel? Plaid, maybe? –Donna B.

11. Can you tell me the width at the bottom of the dress? That measurement is important to determine if I can handle that much fabric on my body. Thx

12. Tam says:

How would I make this for bigger boobs? I’ve managed to do an FBA on a couple of your patterns but it’s very fiddly. I love your patterns but with big boobs on a small body i find it hard to get things to fit.

13. Lea says:

Hi Jen,
    In your sew along I hope you can show how to make the back of dress to have the same longer as the front of the dress.