On the Surface | Natural Dyeing

fini

We are fastly approaching the end of summer! There are only a few weeks left. That is not going to stop us from doing some summery themed natural dyeing. Today we are going to be showing you how we made this perfect dusty rosé naturally dyed Scout Tee using avocado pits. It sews up beautifully in cotton gauze, or raw silk.  It is so soft and breezy. It will be so cute for these remaining summer days and the early fall ones!

Materials

Grainline Studio | Natural Dying1. Start with clean fabric. I suggest a natural fiber! It is going to pick up the dye a lot more easily than a synthetic fabric. I am using cotton gauze however, cotton voile, cotton lawn or a light linen would also be lovely!

2. Soak your fabric in water overnight. This will insure that the fabric picks up the dye evenly.

3. Now  harvest your avocado pits! You are going to have all of this extra meat… perfect for making guacamole. See my personal recipe below!

4. Add the pits to a pot of water. Bring to a boil and let simmer for at least one hour.

5. Toss in your fabric and boil in the dye for one hour, stirring often. The longer you leave your fabric in the darker it will be and adding more avocado pits can make your dye bath darker as well.

Grainline Studio | Natural Dying

6. Remove the excess dye by rinsing your fabric in cool water. Hang it out to dry and then it will be ready to make into one breezy Scout Tee!

Guacamole

• Two ripe avocados
  • 1/4 cup white onion, chopped
  • One lime
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • Queso fresco
  • Salt and pepper

Add your peeled avocados to a bowl and mash with lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix in the onions and top with cilantro and queso fresco!

Grainline Studio | Natural Dying

Grainline Studio | Scout Tee

This entry was posted in Journal Entry and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to On the Surface | Natural Dyeing

1. Francis says:

Can you share your edits to this Scout? It seems to me the neckline is widened and the length is cropped. Is the body larger too?
    Thanks for showing us how to dye.

• Jen says:

The neckline wasn’t cut wider, but the double gauze required a slightly larger seam allowance since it was so slippery. Other than that the top is cropped, but that’s it.

2. Valeria says:

Love the colour! Does the fabric loose colour and stain when you wash the fonished garment?

3. muenzeeins says:

great idea!! never would have thought to get such a lovely pinky shade out of avocado’s…definitely have to try it out!! and thanks for the guacamole recipe 🙂

4. Sewniptuck says:

OMG – such timing guys. I only pulled some gauze out of my stash yesterday and there in the fruit bowl is 2 avocados! Yay, will give this a go!

5. Kay says:

Thats such a lovely natural idea! Thanks for sharing my 10 year old daughter wants to try it out too.

6. Miriam Tribe says:

I’m am practically dying, I can’t wait to try this. I was just thinking of dying some fabric for a blouse this pink, but I was bummed that I didn’t have any dye that color on hand. So excited!

7. marylou24 says:

This is just what I’ve been looking for, I’ve been wanting to try this for a while!! I didn’t realise it was so simple. Do you need to add salt to set the dye or does it keep the colour without?

8. Jacque says:

I just used this tutorial today! I dyed some gauze for me, and tried out shibori techniques with my nephew. Great success, thank you!

9. Mary Bednarowski says:

Excited to try this! Always associated dying with harsh/unhealthy/scarey chemicals. Are there other ideas similar to this to get other colors naturally? Thanks and love your dye results!

10. Nan March says:

Do the pits need to be broken up – or should they be used whole?
    Thanks

• Sarah says:

You can use them whole! They will probably fall apart a bit during the boiling process… mine did. And that is totally fine!

11. Tracy says:

I’m not sure how I missed this when you first posted it. darn bloglovin. Would it work just as well with pits that have dried a little? Like, could I use avocados as I need them and save the pits, and when I have a few, use them for dying?? Thanks for sharing 🙂