Hey! Valentines day is coming up and we have an adorable Bow Tie tutorial for you guys! You can make it for a romantic partner, a friend, yourself or your pet! It’s a day to celebrate all kinds of love. We hope you have fun making these.
1/4 yards of fabric
Two 1/2″ buttons
- Our Free Bow Tie Pattern
1. Cut out your pattern pieces.
2. Stitch the two band pieces together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance. Leave the square end open.
3. Clip the corners and then turn through. Turn your corners out and press! Tuck the raw edges of the open end under and stitch it closed.
4. Fold the Bow Tie piece in half length wise with right sides of your fabric together and pin. Sew a 1/4 seam allowance around the edges, leaving a gap in the middle. The gap is for turning your fabric through!
5. Clip the corners of your Bow Tie piece and turn through the gap until the right side is showing. Then turn your corners out because you want them nice and square! Give the edges a good press.
6. Slip stitch the opening closed.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 with the knot piece.
8. Fold the Bow Tie piece in half and sew along the dotted lines marked on your pattern.
9. Open out the ends and bring the seam to the middle forming a loop.
10. Lay the bow flat so that the seam is in the middle of the back loop.
11. Pinch your bow tie to create a pleat in the middle.
12. Wrap the knot around the bowtie and stitch it closed in the back.
13. Pinch out the edges and fluff to get a lovely bow shape!
14. Slide the band through the back of the knot. Now it’s time to make your buttonholes and sew on your button. Measure the band around your neck and mark where you want the holes and buttons to be. Insert both using the settings on your own machine.
That’s it, you’ve got a fabulous bow tie for gifting or for yourself! This project is perfect for scrap busting. You can even try combining two fabrics for a really fun look.