Alder Sew Along: Alder as a Shirt

Alder Sew Along: Alder as a Shirt

Today I wanted to show you guys how easy it is to turn the Alder Shirtdress into an Alder Shirt! I’m showing View B here but you can do the same thing with view A for a more classic sleeveless button up.

Alder Sew Along: Alder as a Shirt

Start by deciding how long you want the shirt to be. If you’ve made the dress already it’s really easy to just try the dress on and mark where you’d like the shirt to hit. If you haven’t I recommend measuring starting from the hollow of your throat down to where you’d like the shirt to hit since that measurement corresponds with the center front of the dress fronts.

Once you know how long you’d like the dress, mark the new hem length on the front of the dress. Measure up evenly across the bottom of all of the dress pieces to mark the new hem. Make sure you remember to leave enough for the hem.

Alder Sew Along: Alder as a Shirt

All of the construction is the same as the original dress for this version so you can either follow the instructions in the booklet or follow along with the sew along here on the blog.

This entry was posted in Alder Sew Along and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Alder Sew Along: Alder as a Shirt

1. Sabrina says:

I love the fabric you selected! This really came out beautifully.

2. Melizza says:

As your fellow fabric twin pleas don’t be surprised if you see a replica of your shirt made by me 🙂

I was going to make a dress but now seeing the blouse is making me rethink my decision.

Also, aren’t the pattern repeats on this fabric odd? I was trying to match the stripes for ages!

• Jen says:

Yes!! It took me SO long to cut this shirt and I’m not usually one for indecision, I usually just hack in and roll with it! Also I love few things in this world more than being handmade garment twins with someone so I will be most pleasantly surprised and happy!

3. Grace says:

This is lovely! I keep thinking back to my many muslins (I ended up just lowering the dart of the larger size and skipping the FBA althogther) and I keep wanting to give that sammler size + FBA another go around. Perhaps a shirt version will be just what I need to keep working on the fit.

4. Sara says:

This is a thing of beauty! I love how you balanced the stripes. Very playful as well as harmonious.

5. Robyn says:

Love it! The best part of this sewalong is/was conquering my fear of my button-sew-on foot #18. I have the old style machine (yes, I’m the original owner…) and I have to set the zigzag manually. I practically wore safety goggles the first time but now I’m eager for a chance to sew on a million more buttons. So thanks for that!

6. emily marie says:

Awesome. I love the colors of this stripe. Thanks for more inspiration to justify my leggings-as-pants habit (different than tights-as-pants, don’t worry!).

7. Robyn says:

For my first version (A), I made a muslin and did an FBA. The fit is perfect and I saved all my dimensions. Now I want to make this variation with the version B bodice…do you suggest I do another muslin, or can I feel pretty confident copying my changes from the first version?

Thanks in advance. This sewalong has been great and I love the extra variations!