Alder Sew Along Day 12: Hem

Grainline Studio| Alder Sew Along Day 12 | Hem

Today’s a quick post…the hem. Before you begin, line up the front button bands of your dress to make sure they both ended up the same length and adjust accordingly. Fold the hem up 1/4″ and press.

Grainline Studio| Alder Sew Along Day 12 | Hem

Fold up 1/4″ again and press. Pin in place if you like.

Grainline Studio| Alder Sew Along Day 12 | Hem

Head over to your machine and stitch the hem down as close to the fold line as you feel comfortable. Super easy!

This entry was posted in Alder Sew Along and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Alder Sew Along Day 12: Hem

1. I was wondering, how do you deal with the bulk of the fabric from the button bands when you turn them up and press them for the hem Bedform stitching please? Do you trim/grade then at all? Only in some spots there’ll be lots of layers of fabric.

• Jen says:

I don’t do anything extra, just fold up the hem twice and stitch. My machine has no problem going through it but you could try grading, just make sure all your threads for the button band end up secured one way or another if you’re going to be cutting the end.

2. Grace says:

My linen chambray is sort of bulky. I’m tempted to use some self bias tape to make a narrow faced hem.

3. Kathleen says:

I’m totally happy with my second Alder, but darn, I’m not thrilled with the “wavy hem” thing I have going on. It seems no matter how carefully I press that double 1/4″, the hem kind of flares even when pressed. I noticed that on my Archers too…. see above reply to Grace, but I’d rather not add the bias hem step if there’s a way to get a better result with the 1/4″ double turn.

4. angelune says:

How do you deal with the curved parts of the hem? I find it difficult to fold up along the sides where it’s curved up.

• Jen says:

If you’re finding it really difficult you can serge the edge of the hem which will pull the fabric in a bit. Folding is a bit easier that way, otherwise just take it slow and give it a good press

5. TJ says:

Hi Jen, wanted to let you know I finally finished my 2nd Alder today (first one was my ‘stunt’ one or muslin). It took all of my sewing might, but I definitely couldn’t have done it without this wonderful sew-along.