2013 Handmade Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

It’s time for the 2013 Ornament Exchange ornament reveals! You may remember this exchange from last year, Kelli over at True Bias came up with the idea last year and I’m so excited to be a part of it for a second year. Last year I made this little Narwhal ornament and because I love a good theme, I stuck with nature and went all Snowy Owl over here!

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

I have full instructions and a pattern for the little snowy below the jump. Be sure to check out the other ladies participating, I’ve been receiving their ornaments over the past week and it’s been so fun checking my mailbox every day. Thanks Kelli for organizing this swap again!

kelli | miranda | sonja | krista | jennifer | katy | laney | erica

SUPPLIES
Snowy Owl Pattern | Felt | Sequins | Beads | Thread | Embroidery Floss

PATTERN

INSTRUCTIONS

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Cut your pieces. If you’re using felt you can ignore the grainline.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Sew the owl fronts together down the center front (the non-notched seam).

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Sew the owl’s head to the front body. You’ll need to pivot at the point of the head. Once sewn, clip across the point.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Assemble the owl’s eyes and attach. You’re going to go up through the owl’s body, into the felt eye, then into the sequin and bead, then back into the sequin and felt so that the bead anchors the eye to the body. Knot and clip.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

With your embroidery floss make a V that forms a little beak. I went over the beak lines twice for each side of the beak.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Sew the center back seam.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Sew the front and back together at the sides. You now have a little owl tube.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Attach the back of the head to the back of the body. Like the front you’ll need to pivot at the point.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Clip across all of the remaining three points of the head.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Turn your owl right side out and give his little ears an extra push for sharpness.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Fill your snowy up with stuffing, make sure to make him extra stuffed!

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Sew on the bottom of the snowy. I didn’t pin, just turned the 1/4″ seam allowance under and stitched the circle on top. Watch out because if you find yourself making 17 of these owls your thumb will look just like mine.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Position your snowy’s wings in place with two pins and slip stitch them down. If you place the wings slightly higher in the back than you do in the front you’ll get a more 3D wing effect.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

Thread up your embroidery floss again and stitch a length through the top of your owl. Tie the ends of the floss in a knot so your snowy can swing through your tree.

Grainline Studio | 2013 Holiday Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

That’s it, your little snowy owl is completed and ready to hang!

This entry was posted in Make It and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to 2013 Handmade Ornament Exchange | Snowy Owl

1. ThreadTime says:

I love this and will have to try this out. Thanks so much for sharing with the rest of us.

2. Camille says:

The owl is super cute, but the important question is: what is that nail polish?!

• Hahaha, it’s just some cheap-o black nail polish with two coats of Sephora gold sparkles from last year. They’ve changed their nail polishes since then but I think they still have a similar gold glitter polish.

3. gingermakes says:

Love this so much! It’s so very cute!

4. Julie says:

I love this snowy owl! the sequin eyes are the best part, I think. 🙂

5. Elena says:

That little smile! I die!

6. Kelly says:

I love his little beak and eyes! Adorable!

7. Amy says:

Your ornaments are always so cute and creative!! The white owl with gold eyes is just perfect. Thanks for the tutorial!

8. Helen says:

oh I love your owls and their sparkly golden eyes!

9. Jennifer says:

Thank you for your sharing your holiday creativity! Made the Narwhal last year and it was hands down my favorite ornament. This year a guest at my Holiday Party liked it so much that I had to give it to her. Three more Narwhal’s are queued up on my sewing table. Looks like there will be an owl or two right behind :).
    Happy Holidays!

10. Kelly says:

Oh my gosh he’s so cute!! I’d love to make a few of these as gifts next year, thanks for sharing 🙂

11. Laura says:

This is so adorable! Love it. 🙂

12. angela says:

Your ornament is so sweet! I love nature themed ornaments! Perfect gold touches.

13. True Bias says:

its amazing of coarse! i hope you know that both of your ornaments will be cherished by my family forever. thank you so much for participating!

• Aww, thanks for the kind words, it was so fun to participate again and if you decide to do a 3rd year I’m in again! I’m so excited to receive yours…Chicago mail really really is the WORST!

14. Erin says:

Such a cute idea! x

15. Carolyn says:

Thanks for sharing a little gift for us! I appreciate all your tutorials. What a darling owl!

16. Erica says:

These are beautiful! Mine is hanging proudly on my tree. Thanks so much! I can’t wait to try making this pattern myself!

17. Jen!! I was curious to see what you came up with for this year’s ornament. I love it!! So cute. This ornament is going to become a classic on my tree. It was so fun participating in the exchange this year. Merry Christmas!

18. LLBB says:

Beautiful! Love the gold sparkle background for your pics.

19. Krista says:

Here you go again, making pretty much the cutest ornament ever. I LOVE it and am so excited to have it on my tree. My son loves to cuddle with it too 🙂 Merry Christmas and thank you for the wonderful ornament!

20. Teri Emmons says:

I love the owl ornament! I saw a real snowy owl high up in a tree when I was young, something I will never forget! It will b awesome to have one on my Christmas tree!

21. Pingback: The year in making: Looking ahead | Pans & Needles