Alder Sew Along Announcement

Grainline Studio | Alder Sew Along Announcement

Are you guys ready for the Alder Shirtdress Sew Along? Well get ready because it’ll be starting up next week! We’ll be starting on Wednesday and I have plenty of tips and variations planned. I’ll also be covering how to choose your size, a lot of people seem to be sewing based on the size they used for the Archer pattern, which isn’t the same bodice, and also the “hotly debated” question of why I didn’t include sleeves on this pattern.

Grainline Studio | Alder Sew Along Announcement

I’ve also got a bunch of variations planned for you guys. Originally I just had this v-neck planned but got a lot of requests for the mandarin collar so I’m throwing that one in the mix as well.

Grainline Studio | Alder Sew Along Announcement

I’ll also be making both Views A and B into tops. I really like this pattern for the sleeveless button up because of the fact that it is drafted specifically to be sleeveless. While I know you can make the Archer sleeveless it’s never quite the same as a pattern that is actually drafted to be sleeveless. Same with

Grainline Studio | Alder Sew Along Announcement

And on that note I’ll also be showing you how to make an Archer / Alder hybrid dress. This one’s will take a small bit more pattern work than the others but we’ll make it through alive, don’t worry!

So that’s that! I’ll be covering all the construction basics of View A & B along with a bit of fitting advice as well as the pattern adjustments and sewing steps necessary to make all of the Variations. If there’s something specific you’d like me to consider touching on let me know in the comments below. The dress is rated intermediate so it will be helpful to have a bit of garment sewing under your belt when tackling this, mainly because of the collar stand and skirt pivot on View B.

Now I need to go finish unpacking my studio so we’re ready to go Wednesday! I’ll be back with an Alder Sew Along Badge sometime between now and then and if you still need the Alder Shirtdress Pattern, you can grab it here!*

*more paper patterns are currently being printed but likely won’t be available until late August.

This entry was posted in Alder Sew Along and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to Alder Sew Along Announcement

1. Katie says:

Ohhh, the V neck variation! I’ve only been stalling on the Alder because I don’t wear button-up collars. SOLD now.

2. verypurpleperson says:

I love the V-neck dress variation! Looking forward to the sewalong!

3. Julie says:

I agree with Katie, I so want, want, want a V neck version.
    Will you give detailed info for ‘dummies’ on how to make this alteration please, pretty please.
    Thanks

4. Beth says:

Jen you are amazing! I have my pattern printed out and ready to go, and fabric is on it’s way in the post 🙂 the line up for this sew along sounds fantastic – so many variations! Thank you thank you thank you!

5. Elizabeth says:

Wow! Looking forward to this sew-along- thanks for doing it! Can’t wait for that v-neck version and the alder/archer combination!!!

6. fourpeass says:

Can’t wait to see the View B V-neck shirt variation.

7. Kelly OBrien says:

Sounds like fun! I hope I receive my patterns before the sew a long starts!

8. Yes, yes, YES!!! The timing of your sewalong could-not-be-better!! I’m making a muslin of the bodice this week (according to my bust measurement vs. finished pattern) and my fabrics (for 2 dresses) are already pre-washed too. 🙂

9. gilliancrafts says:

Wow, that sounds really thorough and awesome! I’ll be reading along avidly!

10. Kelly says:

Wow you are covering so much, I really like all the variations- that way I can make a bunch and they can all be a little different 🙂 The timing is perfect too as I am currently slugging through a couple of Elsa dresses (sewing hell)

11. Megan says:

Awesome! I’ve been planning for a View A shirt variation, and an Archer/Alder mash-up. Excited for the sew along and fitting advice!

12. Elena says:

So many variations! This sound like a behemoth of a sewalong. Can’t wait to see learn more soon 🙂

13. Grace says:

I’m so excited about the different variations! I’m currently thinking about a full bust adjustment for view B.

14. farrbetterlife says:

I am so excited. I am going to learn so much. My question is about fit. I have a small bust 33 1/2 but shorts I have made tend to be tight across the midback. I can’t make a bigger size because the front will be too big. Thanks

15. Anna Graham says:

perfect!! All the variations sound amazing. Need to nab the pattern now. 🙂

16. Erika Arens says:

I’m so excited for the v-neck dress version! Now to decide if I should make one before the sewalong, then make another v-neck version?

17. Ginny says:

Like Grace, I’m thinking about a FBA. LOVING all the variations Jen and can’t wait to get started on several!

18. rycrafty says:

Oooh, I love the V-neck dress!

You had mentioned in another post that you made an Alder out of quilting cotton? I’d love for you to post about that one, as I have a quilt cotton here that I think would make a great Alder, but I’m still a bit new to different fabric choices, so I’d love to hear someone else’s opinion before I cut into it!

19. K. says:

Amazing range of variations your covering! And that cat fabric is just to die for! Very cute! So sad HüCo doesn’t carry prints like this!

20. discodots says:

This sounds awesome!

21. Angie says:

I want the paper pattern but seeing this is making me think that I should just buy the digital so I can join in on the sew-a-long. I especially love View B variation #2.

22. rg says:

OMG that is so much! I want to do them all (well, almost!) And I echo the FBA…!

23. Maria says:

You are awesome for doing this. I’m totally in love with view B and already have the perfect fabric for it!

24. I so want to do this! Will force me to make a dress that looks tailored and fits right this summer, so I can look expensive at those concerts in the park 😉

25. rg says:

Looking back at the Archer sewalong, I didn’t see bust adjustments. I think I can figure it out from the internets except for a couple of things that are always skimmed over: if the FBA changes the armscye, how do you get the back and front to align once more…and not mess up the match with the sleeve pattern (assuming I’m doing the Archer frankenpattern)? What cup size was Alder drafted for?

26. Katie Emma says:

Yay! Looking forward to tackling view B. I had trouble pivoting on the corners of the Wiksten Tova bib inset so I was scared to do that part on the Alder. I trust your instructions and photos will be clear though! I also think I’m going to add inseam pockets – not sure if it’s worth an extra tutorial, but I think it will be a useful mod.

27. sbucha004 says:

I made my Archer size but on Archer I grade from an 8 to almost a 12 in the hips, and I went with a straight 8 in Alder. I also did a bootleg v-neck due to 1. not enough fabric for a real collar and 2. not planning out a v-neck and having to use bias binding for it! But it’s still one of the best things I’ve made!

28. I’ve made an Alder view B already and love it. It’s constantly in the wash so I can wear it again. I am considering a maxi version- mid calf front retaining the dipped hem back. I was going to lengthen the skirt and front panel cutting throughout the lengthen/shorten line and extending- does that sound right?

29. Valerie says:

I have been resisting buying the Alder because it is winter here but I can feel my resolve crumbling. I am going to order it now! p.s. love that v neck variation..

30. Bridget says:

Where is that amazing cat fabric from?! I want it!

31. Geo P says:

I love that V neck variation. Like Kerry, I’ve already made one but I keep buying fabrics to use for my future Alders. One of them is pink flamingos on navy viscose – I think I’ll use that one for the v neck 🙂

32. Sara Berkes says:

These variations are amazing! Any chance you’d consider doing a colour-block variation? Like splicing horizontally across the waist-line-ish area? I have a vision in my head of a two fabric alder but I’m not sure I’m skilled enough to figure it out…

33. ellebougies says:

Ohhh, I LOVE this pattern so much, I really want to take part. But this growing bump! Although, I’m thinking I can make view B work in something with a bit of stretch? Ah, decisions, decisions.

34. yosami says:

Great I’ve got the pattern all printed out and ready to go! Didn’t imagine there could be so many variations, I look forward to following along, thanks.

35. Eleanor Linn says:

I was wondering whether you’d add a cap-sleeved variant to the Alder Shirtdress. I think it might look good and not be that hard to do.

36. Jenny says:

So excited for this, Jen… already so many Alder ideas buzzing around in my head! Count me in 🙂

37. Justina says:

This is going to be my first proper sew-along. I am soooo excited! Thank you!

38. Pingback: [Patrons indépendants] Les nouveautés de l'été - Le blog thread&needles