Pattern Release | Portside Travel Set

Grainline Studio | Portside Travel Set

It’s here finally here, the Portside Travel Set! I’m pretty pumped up about this new pattern, I mean I always say that, but I really am. I’d been looking around for a classic, looking duffle bag with clean lines and my typical style but couldn’t find anything close to what I was looking for. It would either be the shape I wanted but a color or print I didn’t like or just the opposite so I did what any sane person would do, drafted my own pattern then released it. Hahaha!

Grainline Studio | Portside Travel Set

The duffle is the perfect size for a long weekend if you’re a heavy packer or if like me, you’re on the light side, a full week. I’m in Seattle now with mine for the week and it was plenty big to bring everything I needed plus presents for my new nephew.

Grainline Studio | Portside Travel Set

It was important to me to have a specific handle length on this duffle. They can be held in the hand or in the crook of the arm, but are also long enough to go over your shoulder tote style should you choose. When I’m wandering around O’Hare trying to fill my water bottle etc. this is usually what I do with my duffle if it isn’t slung crossbody with the removable adjustable strap.

Grainline Studio | Portside Travel Set

There are pockets on both sides of the duffle for throwing your phone / granola bar / crossword puzzles / boarding ticket which I’ve gotten a lot of use out of. I hate when there’s no easy place to put something when you need one.

Grainline Studio | Portside Travel Set

The dopp kit / makeup bag (whichever you prefer though I’m going dopp kit) is the perfect size for your toiletries and has a little front pocket for things you don’t want getting mixed up in the bag as well. Makeup brushes, bobby pins, what have you.

Grainline Studio | Portside Travel Set

The pattern also includes a little pouch which I like to use to house all of my technology cords. I can fit my iPhone charger, camera battery charger, and computer cord in here and then nothing gets tangled up in my bag. It’s also the perfect size for a little travel knitting project if you’re making, say, a pair of socks. You guys know I’m always doing that.

Grainline Studio | Portside Travel Set

This bag is a serious hit at airports and is TSA approved. When my bag was searched recently (I was traveling with my pattern screw punch, who knows how it got in my bag) the agent called me over by saying “who does this beautiful duffle belong to?” Haha, I’m not even kidding – best way to start a bag search I’ve ever heard.

Grainline Studio | Portside Travel Set

I’ve taken this bag on two cross country flights already and I’m super excited to finally have a travel set I love! You can get the Portside Travel SetΒ pattern in the shop as well as read all about the supplies you’ll need to make your very own. Perfect for all that holiday traveling coming up!

Oh and this release includes a copy shop version. No more taping (unless you want to)!

This entry was posted in Patterns and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Pattern Release | Portside Travel Set

1. LLADYBIRD says:

YESSSS!! I’m so glad you released this; it looks awesome and so freaking useful. Totes (see what I did there?) gonna make one πŸ˜€

2. gingermakes says:

Oh, man, this looks amazing! What a fun set! I really want one of these!

3. Miranda says:

Love it x100. I can’t wait to make a set. Would it work to do the bottom contrast out of leather, you think? That’s my vision. Oh, and are they all lined, or just the little ones? I’ve gotta get browsing for fabric!

xo

4. Leslie says:

I have been looking for a duffle bag pattern and this just fits the bag! Love the size! Hope you are enjoying your time here in Seattle.

5. shivani says:

woohoo! it’s here! I’m so thrilled you released this pattern. I think I know what few people will be getting for Xmas this year!

6. Carrie says:

Looks great!! I made a duffle bag back in 7th grade that I still use constantly and is literally falling apart…This is just the pattern I need to replace it!

7. Eva says:

you’re a mind reader! a christmas present whisperer! love the details on this

8. F. K. says:

I saw you post this on Instagram, and have been looking forward to it ever since! I don’t travel that often but I still wish I had some really cool luggage, haha. I am so looking forward to giving this a shot!

9. zilredloh says:

It’s a great travel set, Jen! Hope you have a great time and flight back with your new pretty luggage.

10. Claire says:

This is beautiful! I’m so impressed!

11. Elena says:

Ooh, yay! I think this will be a perfect Xmas gift for my sister. We’re often ferrying over on the weekends to see each other, but now we’ll be able to do it with cute, matching travel sets!

12. Love the new bag! I see your in Seattle. Hop on a ferry and come visit Pink Chalk! We’ll can even pick you up at the ferry. ~Your Pink Chalk fans

13. lisa g says:

beautiful set! love the contrast bottom and all the thoughtful details. and that’s a great TSA story… haha!

14. Jean says:

This is exactly what I have been looking for-a pattern for a duffle I can wear yet large enough for a weekend! Thank you! I know I will be making at least two sets-one for me and one for my darling daughter. The TSA approval is key. Hooray!

15. Oni says:

THIS IS THE BEST! I’ve never been so excited for a pattern!

16. Jane says:

This is awesome! So pleased you released it. it’s going to be my gym bag (boring I know but so practical).

17. katie says:

oohlala….love that there is a copy shop option!! pretty please do the same with the moss pattern πŸ™‚

18. discodots says:

Wow I love it! Might need to work on my sewing skills a bit before attempting, but definitely one for the future.

19. Charlene says:

Not sure what copy shop option means?

20. sallie says:

Oooohhhhh shit! I’m all over this!! I even have the fabric picked out and everything!! You rule ALL the schools, Jen!

21. sallie says:

Oh! P.S. Don’t know if you’ve already thought about this, but I would love to know where you found your hardware and webbing… I always find that stuff sort of tricky to find locally…

22. Love your work Jen, love your work. Now to find a suitably perfect fabric!

23. Amy says:

What a great set! You always make such practical and perfect patterns. And, Seattle! I just moved there a few months ago, and so far it’s treating me quite well. I hope you’re enjoying the city, and I also hope you’re getting a lot of quality time with your new nephew.

24. sewamysew says:

Congratulations on the release! This is such a great idea. I’m not a crafty maker I usually only make clothes but I could totally come at making this. Thanks Jen

25. That’s gorgeous and I have a couple of folk in mind who’d be ecstatic to receive such a thing. It looks fairly heavy duty, though, so I’m just wondering if I’d be able to make it on my domestic sewing machine or would I need to use a friend’s industrial one?

26. Maggie says:

GORGEOUS! Such clean and classic lines. Any inclination to re-release the Archer with a copy shop version? Pretty please??

27. kristin says:

i see christmas presents!!! for MEN!!!! you’re awesome.

28. Woo hoo. Just got mine. Thanks for your amazing patterns

29. Bec Stitches says:

Ahh that is so freaken cute! πŸ™‚

30. Andrea says:

YES. Congrats and thanks for another pattern release. This one came quick! I’ve been eyeing some good-looking travel bags on Everlane, but it would be more fun to do it myself (…right?).

31. Kelly says:

This is such a good looking set, and I’d love to proudly carry the finished product (camping? we don’t get out much), but I’m just not a bag maker. I really, really, really don’t like making bags. I’m sure fantastic versions of your pattern will start popping up everywhere, though, and then I won’t be able to resist despite knowing better!

32. Dallas Adams says:

This is amazing! Its a beautiful set, I make smaller bags but just don’t have the time or energy to make larger ones! haha lovely post! πŸ™‚

33. Erin Gilkes says:

Ahhh! I’ve been looking for the perfect duffle forever and never felt confident enough to make a good sturdy one. Thank you for doing that for me! I want to make a million, one for every mood.

34. These are so, so cute!! I love them! I don’t sew bags much but these would definitely be worth the time and effort!

35. Leila says:

This is awesome! And I say dopp bag, too. So classy. Great set, Jen!

36. it’s like you some how knew exactly what i needed! thanks! i can see a lot of fun fabric possibilities, too.

37. kkegeland says:

lovely!
    i am in desperate need of a good duffle bag.

38. Susan says:

Great job! You’re an amazing pattern maker! I used to work in costuming in NYC and I was a first hand, so mainly cutting and stitching. Could you do a tutorial on making the scout tee with a 3/4 sleeve and how to alter the pattern for that? Would be great for this time of year!

39. Amy says:

Jen, what a fun new pattern! Great, great idea. Congrats!

40. Bec says:

Hi, I just bought this, yay! I just have a couple of questons.
    When cutting out the pattern am i correct in reading you place it selvage to selvage with the right side facing out?
    Also any ideas where I could buy the Notions online? I cant seem to find any locally.

41. Erin says:

Any recommended online resources for bag hardware/webbing?

42. Enrique says:

LOVE this. Cant wait to get this bag started.

43. Kate says:

Love love this pattern. I’ve cut everything out but I can’t tell from the instructions which pieces need to be interfaced – maybe a dumb question but hoping someone can help me? Thank you!

44. Donna says:

some people have commented that there is a problem with the Dopp upper parts length in relation to the length of the zipper. Has that been corrected? They’ve said that instead of 13″, it should be 14″ in order to give enough seam allowance with a 13″ zip to fit in with the rest of the bag. Could I instead use a 12″ zip?

Also, it’d be really great if the instructions also mentioned the number of each piece when putting it together. That would make it an easy reference.

• Sarah says:

Hey! The seam allowance for the Dopp upper is correct for the 13″ zip. If you want to use a 12 inch Zip you will need to re-draft the pattern so that all the pieces are one inch smaller.