Archer Sew Along | Day 8 | Attaching the Yoke – Method 2

Archer Sew Along | Inserting a Yoke | Method 2 from grainline on Vimeo.

Today we’re going to talk about the second method for attaching a yoke, this method has a bit of tricksy pinning/stitching but it’s just as easy as the other method and everything is sewn up by machine in a few steps. I made a video to illustrate because rolling everything up into a little Archer burrito was hard to show in photos. If you have any questions, just let me know!

This entry was posted in Archer Sew Along and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Archer Sew Along | Day 8 | Attaching the Yoke – Method 2

1. Even though I’m not participating in this sewalong… Very clear video! Love the music choice as well by the way!

2. Lara says:

This reminds me of a technique to attach facings that I learned in my sewing class; It uses the same burrito-like construction process.

I’m thinking of using a sheer cotton fabric with a floral print on it, but I was kind of wondering about the yoke. I don’t really want the flowers of the inner yoke piece peeking through, so I was thinking of using another sheer, plain, fabric for it. I have some silk organza in my stash but I suppose that would be too stiff for a yoke? Any recommendations?

• Perhaps something like a white cotton voile would be a good choice for the inside yoke? The silk organza would work but I agree that it might be a bit stiff and it would also make it more difficult to wash if you’re planning on machine washing.

It’s funny how many techniques in sewing can be described as “burrito-like” – just another reason to love sewing!

3. lisa g says:

oh my gosh, thank you for that video! i’ve been sewing my yoke pieces with the same result, but by pulling the seam awkwardly out through the neck hole side of the yoke… this way is far better!

4. Ruth says:

I’m just watching and not actually sewing along and am really enjoying this. What a fabulous way of sewing a yoke!! Thanks!

5. Carolyn says:

Great video! I used the first method on the archer I’m making right now – but I’ll definitely try this my future archers.

6. Kieran says:

Thanks for sharing this method! I just used it on my shirt and I am so happy with the super neat finish!

7. Mamemimo says:

Hi! I am not participating in your sew-along but I haven’t missed any of the steps an I am learninf a lot. Thanks!

8. sbucha004 says:

That’s an awesome method! I made a short sleeve Archer and I’m working on a sleeveless silk one and am already past the yoke, but I’m definitely going to use this next time!

I was wondering if you’d be posting after the sewalong is finished about fit issues and how to fix them? I’m having some weird shoulder issues that I can’t find info on online! I probably don’t know what it’s called and that’s why I can’t find it.

• I wasn’t planning on doing to many fitting adjustments because the possible things people may need to do varies so much and there are so many good tutorials out there already. What is the issue you’re having with the shoulders? I’ll see what I know about it if you can describe what’s happening.

9. laricci smunch says:

I got impatient and did the yoke the first way but now I wish I waited. That was so cool! And I love your “film!”

10. Kelly says:

I just did this and it worked awesome, thanks! Nice video 🙂

11. Jessica says:

Thanks for the video and waiting with smart for the following step.

12. Katie says:

What’s the benefit of this method over the other one? Is one better to use than another, ie: cleaner finish or easier?

13. lloubb says:

new technique for me! thanks – worked a gem!

14. Pingback: archer! | awfully nice

15. Lauren says:

I’ve just used this method for my second Archer and by golly is it good! Thanks for sharing this – really helpful video.

16. Lizzy says:

When you stitch the outer yoke – do you sew along the same seam or are the seams different widths??

17. Pingback: Sew Bossy… falling in love with (silk) Archer | Sew Busy Lizzy

18. Pingback: Double denim shirt success: tracing my own pattern | Yes I Like That

19. Sheree says:

What is this music? Absolutely love it.

20. Pingback: The ‘Why did I do that?’ Shirtdress, McCalls 6696 | Sew Busy Lizzy

21. Pingback: The Grainline Alder Shirtdress, it’s more ‘me’ | Sew Busy Lizzy